Our history dates to the late 19th century. The Lynchburg Gun Club held a prominent place in the society among the most affluent men of a very prosperous Lynchburg. A 15-acre tract south of the present Randolph College was home to this club.
This club changed its name to Oakwood Club at the turn of the 20th century. In 1912, the prominent men in charge agreed to move to the “country” to purchase the 100 acre Clofton Farm and chart a new course that remains home to our club grounds today.
Oakwood Country Club, Inc. was officially chartered in 1914 in what is now Lynchburg City but was then still part of Campbell County. J.M. Lewis was the architect of the distinctive clubhouse that survives to date in spite of a major fire in the 1920s.
For a detailed historical perspective we submit you will make discoveries at the Jones Memorial Library in Lynchburg, Virginia. A local historian, Chambers, devoted a page to Oakwood in his book that may also be of interest.
The history that relies more on personal recollections are the fabulous stories of the individuals who provided leadership or were content in simply enjoying their lengthy membership in Oakwood. Generations of families literally grew up at the club. It is an unmistakable fact that the club is regarded as somewhat of a community asset.